Monday, December 29, 2008

Pursuit of Happiness

My title does not refer to the Will Smith movie, which evidently has a spelling mistake quite a number of people fail to realise.

Instead, I refer it to my expanding sub-section of this blog related to motivation. Because I feel that I lack it, and instead of just moping around wishing things would get better, I blog about it. (which apparently may or may not be the same thing)

In one way or another, we usually do things for self-benefit. But these things in mind are just general things, simple life processes and others that encompass menial tasks and nothing that holds long lasting effects.

On the other hand, things that actually allow one to improve oneself are usually unnecessary. Extra. By the way. Would you like fries with that? Something around those lines, pretty much.

And with that in mind, looking at another extreme end of the spectrum lies things that are both unnecessary to accomplish and have unnecessary effects on one's being. Considering that they would be more are more posts regarding this issue of "Motivation", it would be a good idea to start from extreme cases.

Something like learning to swim in the deep end of a swimming pool as compared to the shallow end.
Something like sometimes it's best to learn to run in order to learn to walk.
Which both make no sense anyway.

Do take a mental note that whatever I post, will always have some weird sense of sense in the end. Even if it would be nonsense, it would still be sensible sense. Why?
Because I can. I can make anything and everything seem relevant given the proper lighting, angles and colours. With my reasoning that is.

Anyhow, back to the pursuit of happiness.

It is in this neverending escapade of ours that entails us to keep going after: (here's the bomb)
Things that give us fun. Things that make us happy.

Wow, genius, so damn innovative.
We keep going after things that are fun and happy, ohh right, such a great insight as compared to what? Going after things that hurt us? Going after things that give us pain?

Unless you tend to show sadistic, or even worse masochistic, qualities, and also unless you tend to have certain fetishes I do not intend to get into, then NO, we do not want pain.

(the above two paragraphs belong to a severe case of stray thoughts)

I feel pretty sure that this specific phenomena occurs to a lot of us, us being those in my generation. Not really adults, not really kids. Not so much teens anymore that is. And this aforementioned phenomena relates to our hedonistic behaviour. Addiction to fun.

For me, alot of days go by and at the end of them, I realise I achieved pretty much nothing. Zero sum game. What have I been doing with my time? Burning it away, trying to latch on this fun-train. Do you think this happens to you?

Now while this sounds all doomy and gloomy, it certain cases, it may prove to be a blessing instead of a curse. Choosing which fun-train we chase dictates the direction and channeling of our time. Therefore, choose a fun-train that benefits you.

Which is what I am trying to do.

At first, it may seem impossible and pointless to do so. But even with a little willpower, certain things our of sight and definitely out of mind tend to materialise.

I dropped certain activities that have been absorbing the vast majority of time for other activities that in the end, only absorbed a tiny bit of my time. The process of diverting out time into other activities seemed more tedious and hard.

But hey, writing this blog post itself is a living testament that I am slowly but surely succeeding. Because I beleive that this activity would hold far more benefits in the long run as compared to what I normally do.

And taking me as an example, inductively, anyone and everyone can do the same.
Unless you are a super-achiever who has more hobbies than the number of fingers and toes combined and/or multiplied, it may occur to you that your life could be more.

That your life could have more lighting. More angles. More colours.

And this I am able to do with my thoughts, and hence publish long-winded posts that hold tiny bits of actual information.

And in the case of this post, the actual information is:
Your life sucks, get a new one.

2 comments:

hilmi arif said...

damn gud la ur post...haha...i like ur blog..hows holiday though?

ѕυяяєαℓιѕт said...

I told you online, sort of wasted my entire holiday!

My life sucks, getting a new one don't worry.